For updates on when the China border is reopening see this article

Last updated: 6th July

New cases of COVID-19 coronavirus across China fallen dramatically

The number of new cases of the coronavirus reported across China since early March has been extremely low, as China’s strict measures to contain the virus in early 2020 have paid off. The small number of new cases have mostly been imported cases, from people entering China from overseas and they have been put under quarantine to remove the chance of spreading the virus. In mid-June there was a small outbreak of a couple of hundred cases in Beijing which is being contained.


Schools across China re-open in May & June

Life in China has returned to normal with schools, businesses and shops opening up, albeit with safety measures in place, such as mask wearing and social distancing. Public schools, kindergartens and private language schools in provinces all over China have reopened for face to face classes.

Read an article written by one of our teachers, Joel, about his first face to face class back at school in May here and one about how life in Chengdu is returning to business as usual here.

On 12th March the Ministry of Education in China released their ‘Guidelines on COVID-19 Prevention and Control’ for kindergartens, primary, middle, and high schools, as well as higher education institutes. The guidelines contain basic information about COVID-19, steps schools must take to prepare for reopening, and regulations once students return to campus.

Schools are required to take various measures to ensure the entire school and classrooms are kept disinfected and safe for teachers and students:

The Health App in China

China is making use of a health app which works on a 3 colour coded system. A green code means you are symptom free and are therefore allowed to travel freely, take public transport, visit restaurants, hotels and apartment blocks. You simply scan a QR code to demonstrate your green health status. A yellow code means you have had contact with an infected person but haven’t yet completed your quarantine period. A red code means that you have the coronavirus, or have symptoms such as a fever and are awaiting your test result. Read an article from one of our teachers, Joel about his experience using the health app in Chengdu here.

Plans for China border reopening border

In a measure to reduce the number of imported cases of COVID-19, China temporarily closed their border to most foreigners from Saturday 28th March 2020. For the latest updates on the current status of the China border and when English teachers can re-enter, please see this article.

Q: Are schools in China still hiring?
A: Yes, demand for English teachers in China is higher than ever. As schools across China have now reopened they continue to recruit teachers for start dates from September onwards. For teachers already in China the start date can be as soon as a few weeks. For teachers outside of China, a lot of schools are holding interviews for flexible start dates when the border reopens. The work visa application process for China can take 2 to 4 months to process, so you are encouraged to interview with schools in China now and once you have accepted a job, you can begin getting the work visa documents ready so you can enter China once the border is reopened.

Q: What if I have already accepted a job with a school in China but do not have a work visa yet?
A: You can continue preparing the required documents for the China work visa in your home country. If you need assistance with this, we are partnered with various visa agents around the world that can assist you with this process. Please contact us for visa advice. Once you have the required documents your school will apply for a Z work visa invitation letter. As soon as the ban on foreigners entering China has been lifted, you can take the invitation letter to the Chinese embassy and get your Z work visa and then enter China.

Q: What if I have already been issued the Z work visa but I haven’t entered China yet and the visa is expiring soon?
A: Once the Z work visa has been stamped in to your passport, you have 3 months to enter China. If the work visa expires before you enter China, the school will have to reapply for a new invitation letter for you. The good news is the school can just use the existing documents they already have from you to reissue it. You can then use that to apply for a new Z work visa. A lot of schools are offering to reimburse any visa application costs, please check with your school directly to ask if yours does.

Q: What can I do to supplement my income while I wait to start my teaching job in China?
A: A number of teachers have taken part-time online teaching jobs to earn some extra income, while they wait for the start of their teaching job in China. You can Google online teaching jobs, there are plenty of options, such as VIPKid, TutorABC and DadaABC.

Q: What if I am already in China and want to leave my current school and get a new job with another school in a different city?
A: If you are already in China and want to switch schools and transfer your work visa from one to the other, you will need:
– minimum 45 days validity on active residence permit (Z visa)
– work permit cancellation letter from previous employer (make sure your current school does not cancel your work permit though)
– to already be working in the eduction sector

Please submit an application here and we will send you suitable job options based on your preferences.

Treatment & Vaccines

There are currently more than 165 vaccine candidates being tracked by the World Health Organisation. 12 vaccines are in phase 2 trials and 6 vaccines are in phase 3 trials, which involves giving the vaccine to thousands of people for testing. After phase 3 the next step is approval. There is 1 vaccine that has already been approved for limited use. Here are some articles that go into more details:

New York Times COVID Vaccine Tracker

Coronavirus vaccine tracker: How close are we to a vaccine? – The Guardian

WHO – Draft landscape of COVID-19 candidate vaccines (3rd August)

Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine triggers immune response – BBC (20th July)

Trial of Oxford COVID-19 vaccine starts in Brazil (28th June)

Moderna eyes third quarter for first doses of potential COVID-19 vaccine with Catalent deal – Reuters (23rd June)

Coronavirus vaccine: Are we close to finding one? – Cnet (2nd July)

Pfizer reports encouraging, very early vaccine test results – The Associated Press (1st July)

CanSino’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate approved for military use in China – Reuters (29th June)

Operation Warp Speed (OWS) aims to deliver 300 million doses of a safe, effective vaccine for COVID-19 by January 2020 – Health & Human Services (16th June)

About the Author:

Share this page. Choose your platform.

Job Board

Hundreds of teaching jobs in China, fully screened, updated daily.