English First Dalian
Are you looking for a Director of Studies position in a dynamic and exciting education environment? Can you lead a team of international teachers and ensure the highest possible academic standards for our students?
At EF English First Dalian, we are seeking a new Director of Studies (DoS) to join our team and manage one of our four schools. This is a newly built school so central to the role will be developing a strategic path and nurturing the growth and development of the school from day one.
As the DoS you will be responsible for ensuring the academic integrity of the school so that our students receive the best possible English language education. Vital to this role are strong people management skills and a flexible working style. You’ll have the ability to manage and develop a small international teaching team.
You’ll be qualified with a degree and be a native English speaker and have a wide range of teaching and training experience with a good understanding of the TEFL environment. Experience in a previous DoS role is desirable as is experience living and working in a foreign country.
Ideally you’ll possess outstanding organizational skills, be positive and enthusiastic in the workplace and show an eagerness to solve problems. A proven track record of building strong relationships with teachers, sales and service staff, customers and other senior managers is essential.
Above all you’ll be a person who has a passion for learning and a real commitment to leading and developing a team of teachers. You’ll be someone who is able to confidently craft a vision for the future of our flagship school, while effectively managing its day to day operations. This will require all of your creativity and initiative as you work mostly independently to plan and implement your new directives that will ensure further success for our school.
Teach English in Dalian
Situated in the North-East province of Liaoning, the gorgeous coastal city of Dalian has a long history of being used by foreign powers as a port. The city is well-known for its squares, fountains, gardens and beaches thanks to the former major, Bo Xilai, who initiated a ‘Green Storm’, a widespread environmental development campaign.
Dalian also has a reputation for its football, hosting many national competitions and having the most successful team in China. Another big event is the annual Dalian International Fashion Festival attracting thousands of designers, celebrities, pop stars and clothing merchants.
• Training, staff development and management
• Encourage, facilitate and participate in the professional development of teachers
• Regularly observe teachers, according to EF English First guidelines
• Provide training to the marketing, sales and service teams regarding the academic product and any updates or changes
• Train and induct teachers in operational procedures and EF English First company products
• Work with the PM and teachers to constantly improve the academic quality of the centre
• Lead and/or arrange seminars and workshops in teacher development
• Maintain teacher personnel records
• Regularly evaluate academic staff, establishing clear goals and priorities for improvement and development according to EF English First guidelines
• Recruit teachers, according to EF English First guidelines, in agreement with the PM
• Deal with staff (teacher, CM and sales/service) concerns promptly and effectively, communicating needs to other managers/departments as necessary
• Discipline and dismiss teachers according to EF English First guidelines and in agreement with the PM
• Organize and lead regular staff meetings and effectively communicate management decisions to teachers
• Implement changes resulting from group decisions, in agreement with the CM
• Plan and organize his/her own and teachers’ time efficiently and in the best interests of the centre
• Assign him/herself willingly the appropriate teaching hours
• Excellent salary: 24,000 RMB per month depending on experience
• Housing allowance: 2,000 RMB per month
• Flight allowance: 9,000 RMB half payable after 6 months, half after 12 months
• Legal ‘Z’ work visa
• 12 days public holidays plus 10 days extra holidays
• Comprehensive Aetna Health Insurance
• Native English speaker from UK, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
• Bachelor’s degree or above
• 120 hour TEFL required (No TEFL? – We recommend INTESOL)
• Previous DoS experience desirable
As well as
• Strong people skills, a flexible working style and creativity
• A wide range of teaching experience
• A good understanding of TEFL methodology
• China experience is preferred
There are no costs whatsoever for the entire recruitment process.
We are looking forward to hearing from you.