Language School in Beijing
The Academic Manager is responsible for the successful and profitable operation of all aspects of the Shane English School Beijing (SESB) Academic Department as well as supporting the Managing Director as and when required.
With thousands of students coming through our doors every year we make every effort to maintain the highest standards in education by providing excellent course materials, technology and an engaging learning environment. You will be responsible for leading a team of international teachers, coordinating and implementing a comprehensive strategy for the development of the school and ensuring a positive and effective work environment for all.
The majority of our students are young learners aged from 3 to 14 years old and teachers enjoy teaching to a variety of ages throughout the week. We also offer some offsite lessons and corporate-client lessons so teachers will have the opportunities to teach a range of ages. The maximum young learner class size is 8 students, and 10 students maximum for an adult class.
Courses are designed around a core of set texts and supplementary materials, cross referenced to in-house syllabuses and pacing schedules. The texts used for adult courses are predominantly in-house produced British English texts (known as the Shane Adult Course). Children’s courses at SESB almost exclusively use its own course materials, specially produced by Saxoncourt ELT so as to meet more directly our students’ needs.
Teachers are encouraged to use a communicative approach to teaching and to add their own extra resources and ideas to bring variety to the learning environment. Vital to the Academic Manager’s role is providing teachers with plenty of support and guidance as well as thorough training in all aspects of their teaching.
Beijing – The city
Beijing, capital of the People’s Republic of China, is the nation’s political, economic, cultural, educational and international trade and communication center. Located in northern China, close to the port city of Tianjin and partially surrounded by Hebei Province, Beijing also serves as the most important transportation hub and port of entry in China.
One of the most important landmarks in the city is Tiananmen Square. This is the world’s largest public square and a must see for all visitors from abroad and from other places in China. The square is surrounded by grand building including the Great Hall of the People, the Museum of Chinese History, The Museum of the Chinese Revolution, the Qianmen Gate and the Forbidden City. It is also home to the Chairman Mao Memorial Hall and the Monument to the People’s Martyrs.
Beijing has a vast array of evening entertainment, from traditional performances such as the Beijing Opera, acrobatics and martial arts to modern ones like concerts, pubs and clubs.
• Overall responsibility for the recruitment, training and development of all Academic Department staff
• Manage the academic team to ensure that all teaching support functions are carried out effectively; teacher training, course design, observations, appraisals, promotion events (in accordance to the monthly duties outlined in the DoS Job description)
• Ensuring that procedures and staff are in place for the successful recruitment of all SESB teachers
• Weekly planning meetings with the Beijing Managing Director and ad hoc meetings as necessary
• To maintain and enhance the good reputation of the Saxoncourt Group of Companies as a leader in the field of EFL and to ensure that the ethos and objectives of the SESB are consistent with those of the organisation as a whole
• To manage and coordinate all courses run by SESB and ensure that they meet market demands
• To fulfil all administrative tasks required including the writing of reports (CMR, MAs and budgets etc) according to the agreed procedures and deadlines
• To respond to any other requests from the Beijing Managing Director as promptly and efficiently as possible
• To cover for any absent Academic Department staff in ensuring that their duties are fulfilled
• To order and maintain physical resources for the Academic Department
• To be discussed during interview
• Bachelor’s degree
• Recognised TEFL qualification, preferably up to Diploma level (No TEFL? We recommend INTESOL, est. 1993, 30% discounts: www.GoldStarTeachers.com/INTESOL)
• Native English speaker from UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland or South Africa
• At least 2 years English teaching experience
• At least 4 years managerial experience
• Plenty of passion and energy
There are no costs whatsoever for the entire recruitment process.
We are looking forward to hearing from you.